1. Come to practices and games early.
2. Never leave a child on the field unattended.
3. For practices and games, all children must have shin guards.
- Older children should have cleats.
- MYSA requires that all players wear shin guards for practices and games - no shin guards, no soccer.
4. All children should play a minimum of 1/2 of a game.
- Exceptions can be made based upon a lack of commitment and attendance to practices and games.
5. Always remember, it's not about winning but about developing mature and well-adjusted children.
6. Make it fun.
- If it's not fun, re-evaluate how you are teaching.
7. Don't over coach.
- Have the children learn through playing.
8. Remember, attitude is learned, both positive and negative.
9. Treat referees with respect.
10. Get off the field immediately at any sign of lightning.
11. Stress fair play and good sportsmanship whether winning or losing.
12. Keep parents under control.
- Tell them not to coach.
- Instruct them to respect referees.
13. Provide positive reinforcement and build esteem.
14. Stress proper warm-up to prevent injuries.